Monday, September 08, 2008

Turmeric: The Super Spice

I cut my finger last night. The perfect opportunity to test the healing properties of Turmeric. Yes, TuRmeric. Not Trumeric or Tumeric, as it is often mislabeled.

Part of the Saffron family and containing the magic ingredient Curcumin, Turmeric is reputed to stave off Alzheimer's disease, as well as having anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. It is also used as an antiseptic.

Johnson & Johnson company even markets a Turmeric Band-Aid in India (see ad storyboard here).



Anyhow, I sprinkled some turmeric on my finger and strapped on a regular ol' North American Band-Aid. Abra Cadabra, this morning my cut is mostly healed. On the negative side, I have a yellow finger.

As the New York Times and Yahoo! Health have already advised, get on the Turmeric bandwagon and sprinkle some in your curries, stir-fry, or even pasta sauce. It's not overpowering taste-wise, but it just might overpower bad health. Low risk, high reward.

Go Turmeric!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, be nice...