Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Who Wants to Watch a Game Show Movie?

I do. I did.

Caught Slumdog Millionaire last night and it's definitely gotta be one of the best films of the year. Director Danny Boyle's slowly becoming one of my favorite filmmakers, with such other gems as 28 Days Later and Sunshine.

But it got me thinking, what are some of the best movies that involve/revolve around game shows?

Well here's my Top 7 Game Show Movies:
  1. Magnolia - finds in the game show the perfect breeding ground for utter misery and disappointment
  2. Slumdog Millionaire - uses the game show as an entertaining framing device in highlighting the deep scars cut through wealth-based class divisions
  3. The Gladiators - a docu-style satire of the military-industrial complex where future wars are fought in a choreographed game show between individual combatants/contestants
  4. The Running Man - anticipating the reality TV phenomenon, the Arnold kicks major ass in this action-spoof of voyeuristic blood lust
  5. Quiz Show - based on the true events of the 1950s American quiz show scandals
  6. European Vacation - Clark and the Griswald gang win a trip to Europe on "A Pig in a Poke"
  7. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - based on the memoir of a former game show host / secret agent
Here's a quiz for you... what movies am I forgetting? I can't think of any more my self, but one thing's for sure. It seems like all these movies have a satirical/critical bent to them. I guess the game show stands for something... nothing?

PS. Let's not forget the amazing South Park episode, "With Apologies To Jesse Jackson". Watch the awe-ful clip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, be nice...